Why medical pedicures vs. traditional cosmetic pedicures?
While a traditional cosmetic pedicure focuses on making your toenails look as good as possible, and gets rid of some dead skin, it ignores real problems and sometimes creates them. Not to mention, your feet are on display in front of all the other customers.
Unlike nail salons, our professionals are trained to examine and treat foot and nail disorders using advanced equipment and tools and the strictest hygiene protocols. A medical pedicure is often performed in the private setting of a medical clinic.
What is a medical pedicure?
A medical pedicure is a non-invasive, dry procedure performed by highly skilled foot care specialists who combine podiatry with nail care. Guaranteed to be safe and hygienic, it addresses issues such as:
- Athlete’s foot
- Dry, cracked heels
- Ingrown/overgrown toenails
- Nail discoloration
Who could benefit most from a medical pedicure?
Because the benefits of a medical pedicure are more than just cosmetic, we think everyone would be better off with a mede-pedi. However, medical pedicures are crucial for:
- Diabetic patients
- Arthritis sufferers
- Ballet and other dance professionals
- Athletes and fitness pros
- Doctors and nurses
- Actors and performers (Broadway? We’ve got you!)
- Professionals who need to work on their feet
- People who wear high heels daily
- Anyone self-conscious about their feet
What actually happens in a medical pedicure?
The medi-pedi treatment is performed by Marcela Correa and her team. After an evaluation on your feet, we dedicate the first half hour to cleaning the feet and toe nails, trimming and polishing nails, and if necessary, removing calluses, corns and ingrown nails. In the last half hour, one of our technicians will finish the cleaning of your feet and remove any lingering dead skin, as well as hydrating the feet to prevent your feet from becoming dried out and cracked. The process takes about 35 minutes to 1 hr depending on the condition of the feet.
The medi-pedi treatment includes:
- A full assessment and consultation on the condition of feet, skin and toenails
- Extensive cleaning and cleansing
- Sanding, buffing and shaping of the nails to remove dead cells and achieve maximum comfort
- Removal of dead skin and buffing of the feet
- Removal of blisters, corns and ingrown toenails
- Smoothing out of calluses and dry, cracked heels
- Restoration of natural toenail color, if necessary
- Application of nail polish, if requested (Must bring your own)
Note: Unlike regular salons, we do not massage your feet and we don't use water to perform the cleaning.
What is your standard for hygiene?
At MediPedi NYC, we have the highest standards for hygiene and sanitation. All equipment goes through autoclave sterilization, preventing the spread of germs, fungus and diseases.
WHAT happenS if i'm late?
Unfortunately, you won't be able to get nail polish and our technicians won't be able to spend as much time as we would love to on your feet.
What nail polish colors do you have?
We think your bare, buffed toenails look gorgeous on their own, so we actually don’t stock nail polish. If you’d like your nails painted at the end of your medical pedicure treatment, please bring your own basecoat, color and topcoat. Don’t forget that base! It’s important to seal in all the work we just did. But if you forget to bring your own and still want to get polish, we offer a small selection of nail polish for purchase.